- M.Sc Polymer and Process Engineering
- M.S Polymer Science and Technology
- Ph.D Polymer Science and Engineering
Focus of the Research
The primary focus of the research in the Department is on following areas:
- Development of advanced polymers including functional polymers, composites and elastomers
- Advancement in the existing polymers to meet high-end requirements
- Application of polymers in the process industries
- Advanced polymer characterisation techniques
- Polymer process simulation using state-of-the art software packages
A number of research clusters are operational in the Department each focusing on unique research topics including:
- Development and applications of conductive electroactive polymers (CEPs) in separation technologies, functional coatings and sensors
- Elastomeric blends and formulations for various applications related to automotive industry
- Application of polymer composites for the energy storage devices including super-capacitors and batteries
- Development of polymer-based nano-composites
- Meta-model based approaches to injection molding simulation (IMS)
M.Sc Polymer and Process Engineering
The M.Sc program was started in the Department in 2007. The curriculum is a unique combination of the advanced subjects related to Polymer and Process Engineering. The Department enjoys a strong tradition of research and development work. Students are encouraged to undertake and disseminate the research work in a timely manner under the guidance of the faculty.
The Department offers M.Sc. Degree on Full Time basis. The minimum credit hours requirement for the award of M.Sc. Degree is 30 credit hours after an undergraduate degree. The program is divided into three semesters, on full time basis. First and second semesters are dedicated to the course work. After each semester, the students take the examination. In the third semester, students undertake research projects, on completion of which a dissertation is submitted for evaluation by experts of the field. Degree is awarded on passing the requisite number of courses as well as the successful completion of the dissertation. As per university requirements, a minimum GPA of 3.0 is needed to obtain the degree.
M.S Polymer Science and Technology
The Proposed M.S Polymer Science and Technology program is an inter-disciplinary research oriented post-graduate program. The program is offered by Department of Polymer & Process Engineering in collaboration with Department of Chemistry and Department of Physics. The program curriculum is a blend of core areas from polymer science, offered by the Department of Chemistry and Department of Physics, and polymer technology, offered by the Department of Polymer & Process Engineering. A unique feature of this program is that the students and faculty from different academic backgrounds (Engineering, Chemistry & Physics) will be working together in collaboration. It is envisaged that this multi-disciplinary approach would result in emergence of new research clusters, keeping in mind the international research in the field and requirements of the industry.
To be admitted in M.S Polymer Science and Technology, the applicant must have completed 16 years of education from a recognized institution. Polymer is a highly interdisciplinary area that includes Polymer Chemistry, Polymer Physics, Polymer Processing, Polymer Engineering, etc. Students with a degree in the following disciplines are eligible to apply.
- Chemistry and applied chemistry
- Physics and applied physics
- Chemical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Polymer Engineering
Ph.D Polymer Science and Engineering
The Department started Ph.D program in 2020. The PhD program at the Department consists of course work and rigorous research work. It is expected that the PhD candidates would produce original contribution to the chosen research field. It is required to submit a thesis at the end of the research work for the award of the degree.
The postgraduate degree program at the Department was designed to build on current activities and to provide a nucleus for the University’s rapidly expanding industrially orientated research training and consultancy in polymer science and engineering. The key role will be to utilize the University’s initiative in areas of multi-disciplinary polymer and process related research. The philosophy behind the design of postgraduate programme in Polymer & Process Engineering focuses on the advanced level studies in:
- The pivotal defining areas of polymer science and engineering such as functional polymers, macromolecule design and characterization, polymer rheology, polymer simulation and polymer composites.
- The core value areas in process engineering like optimization, process design, process control and reactor design.
- Courses from materials design and developmental point of view like polymer membrane design and applications, polymer blends, elastomeric materials etc.
Postgraduate Faculty and their Research Interests
1. Prof. Dr. Asif Ali Qaiser Membranes, Intrinsically Conducting Polymers, Chairman/Professor Polymer Rheology, Polymer Characterization
2. Dr. Atif Javaid Polymer Composites, Multifunctional Polymeric
Assistant Professor Materials, Polymer Processing & Applications
3. Dr. Farhan Saeed Elastomeric Materials, Polymer Processing,
Assistant Professor Polymer Compounding
4. Dr. M. Shafiq Irfan Polymer Composites, Electroactive Conducting
Assistant Professor Polymers, Process Modelling & Simulation
5. Dr. Rabia Nazar Conductive Photo-polymers, Photo-synthesis of Metal Nano-particles
6. Dr. Yasir Qayyum Gill Polymer nano-composites, Polymer packaging, Polymer recycling, Polymer processing
7. Dr. Muhammad Sarfraz Polymer-based mixed-matrix membranes
8. Dr. Umer Mehmood Dye-sensitized solar cells
9. Dr. Muhammad Aamir Shehzad Polymer-based membranes